/** Google Analytics Script*/

SEARCH

Custom Search

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Decision to Boycott goods from China

It is time to take the RIGHT steps. Green Design and Geen Living must start at home.

I have been studying Green Design from many different pespectives over the last 10 years. My Wife Laini and I have started writing articles and are working in our community to promote conservation of our natural resources, energy and live in harmony with our environment.

While thinking and discussing green design within our own family, we have decided to make a commitment to purchase our own goods from local sources and in that process we made a further commitment to avoid any items made in China. The reasons are many including:

1. The terrible environmental impact of Chinese companies.
2. The amount to fossil fuels used in transportation of goods from such a great distance.
3. The poor working conditions of Chinese workers
4. The lack of quality controls for Chinese companies.

We think others will be arrive at this same conclusion and we fully support it. We also know that it will not be very easy. Even now, as I sit here writing with my warm cup of coffee basking in the morning sun pouring into our Connecticut home, I notice that everything I am wearing is made in China ( with the possible exception of my wedding band.) From My Nike socks, my Nike shorts, my Timex Ironman triathlon watch/heart rate monitor, to even my LIVESTRONG yellow bracelet, all are marked "China."

Is globalization really better for the whole world? So many macro economist say yes. I have even beleived them in the past. At the moment, at least for my family, I am rethinking that belief. In the opinion of this humble man I have to say no.

Timex, once a huge employer based right here in my home town, is now reduced to hollow shadow of its former self. What is my benefit in that part of the story? I have a cheap electonic watch that will last about two years before I need a "new" and "improved" model. Meanwhile, hundreds of jobs are lost here in my home town.

The time is now. It is the time for myself and my family to act,to live, grow and learn locally. This includes supporting local farmers and local businesses. It includes using local materials as much as we can. It also includes using less energy and finally as designers it includes promoting these ideas to our clients so we can all live in harmony with our earth.

Richard

No comments: